Derek litigates intellectual property and Internet disputes. He is particularly knowledgeable about domain-name issues, and compliance with Internet advertising regulations. Derek has been on teams at Newman | Du Wors that have collected millions of dollars in just the past couple of years for patent-plaintiff clients. Under the federal CAN-SPAM Act, Derek has convinced several judges to dismiss cases against his defendant clients. And in lawsuits over trademark, copyright, and publicity rights, Derek has negotiated dozens of favorable settlements.
Derek is a guest lecturer at Seattle University School of Law on the subjects of copyright and advertising law. He also regularly gives talks to artists' groups on protecting and exploiting intellectual property.
- Washington State Bar Association
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- Seattle University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- Willamette University, B.S. in Mathematics